BandLab, the social music creation platform owned by Singapore-based BandLab Technologies, just added music distribution to its suite of music creation and promotion tools.
According to the platform’s FAQs, artists keep 100% of their royalties via the distribution service but will need to maintain an active membership to do so.
If an artist discontinues their membership, they’ll receive 100% of their royalties until the end of the billing cycle, followed by 80% thereafter (with the service keeping the other 20%).
The distribution service is powered by Downtown-owned FUGA and marks an expansion of BandLab’s existing relationship with the company, which previously covered Reverbnation, the DIY artist services platform acquired by BandLab in 2021.
Available now on the web, BandLab says that the new service will also roll out across Android and iPhone devices worldwide.
BandLab’s music-making app, partly built on AI-driven tech, has attracted over 60 million registered users to date. It is claimed to be the world’s largest social music creation platform.
It also runs a tool called SongStarter that uses AI to allow users to generate musical “ideas”, including beats, melodies, and chord progressions, that can then be built upon via the main BandLab platform.
According to UMG, the partnership will be “centered on empowering the next generation of artists, including within BandLab’s global community”.
“Finally launching digital music distribution fully to our BandLab community represents a significant step towards fulfilling our mission to streamline the artistic path and empower creators at every stage of their journey.”
Meng Ru Kuok, BandLab Technologies
“The success of BandLab users powering the charts continues to amaze us, and finally launching digital music distribution fully to our BandLab community represents a significant step towards fulfilling our mission to streamline the artistic path and empower creators at every stage of their journey,” said BandLab Technologies Founder and CEO Meng Ru Kuok.
“We firmly believe that artists, regardless of where they are in the world, should have access to tools that enable them to maximize the potential of their creativity, and this feature is tailored to do precisely that.”
He added: “We’re also excited to reinforce our long-term relationship with FUGA beyond our existing setup that has already helped us empower billions of streaming plays for our ReverbNation artists around the world.
“As we seek to further build world-class artist services and opportunities across our group, we’re proud and confident of FUGA’s ability to continue to power our global distribution services as we start to launch it into the hands of our incredible BandLab community.”
“Downtown takes great pride in partnering with forward-thinking, innovative companies who put the creator and rightsholder at the centre of its core mission.”
Andrew Bergman, Downtown Music Holdings
Andrew Bergman, CEO of Downtown Music Holdings said: “Downtown takes great pride in partnering with forward-thinking, innovative companies who put the creator and rightsholder at the center of its core mission.
“We’re excited to reinforce our relationship with BandLab Technologies and support another of its platforms with FUGA’s best-in-class distribution technology.”
“FUGA is proud to continue its longstanding partnership with BandLab Technologies and provide its own proprietary technology and service offering as the backdrop to BandLab’s distribution infrastructure.”
Christiaan Kröner, FUGA
Christiaan Kröner, President of FUGA said: “BandLab has made pioneering steps in the music industry to provide independent creators with the tools they need to make, share and promote their music with fans across the world.
“FUGA is proud to continue its longstanding partnership with BandLab Technologies and provide its own proprietary technology and service offering as the backdrop to BandLab’s distribution infrastructure.
“We look forward to continuing to work closely with the BandLab team in a shared commitment and mission to empower global creators.”
Today’s news arrives six months after BandLab Technologies secured $25 million in a Series B1 funding round that raised the company valuation to $425 million post-money.
That latest investment followed the company’s successful Series B round in April 2022, where BandLab raised $65 million and achieved a post-money valuation of $315 million.
BandLab Technologies formed parent company Caldecott Music Group in 2021 to house three divisions: BandLab Technologies, Vista Musical Instruments, and NME Networks.Music Business WorldwideMusic Business Worldwide